Gossip, tales and evidence of my adventures overseas and back again.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

bbq, history lesson and smoked meat

Louise and Brian took me up to St Sauveur on Monday, the beginning of the Laurentians. In the winter this is the place where Quebecois learn to ski, they call them mountains but they are 'slighty raised bits' compared to the Rockies. Still very, very pretty. We enjoyed a nice lunch and L&B did a little shopping damage. That night we went back to Maria and Eric’s place and enjoyed a lovely bbq. Here I am caught dancing with Eric!



I was enlisted as cocktail waitress, ahh what a hard life it is.

It was a lovely bbq and perfectly timed, as we had finished coffees and teas – the sky opened and it rained a good few buckets.



The next few days I enjoyed venturing around Montreal. The subway is great there and combined with some energetic feet I managed to see a lot of stuff.

One of the highlights was the Museum of History and Archaeology. It’s situated in Old Montreal, right near the St Laurence River and is full of old and interesting stuff. I managed to jump on to a tour in English which was rather entertaining (and it turns out – educational.) They have underground remains of the town from its early beginnings, up to 7 different layers of foundations. Here is an old sewer pipe. I know this doesn’t seem particularly exciting, but it’s one of those ‘had to be there’ moments.



The museum from the outside.



Saint-Denis, one of the popular streets for patio dining in the more French part of town. I tried green tea gelato here for the first time. A winner.



I finally experienced Montreal Smoked Meat. It was juicy, spicy and delish. I went to one of the most well known diners that’s famous for it’s smoked meat and perhaps more so, it’s commitment to avoiding any possible cosmetic changes or redecoration. I think they opened that store in the early 50’s sometime. It is truly a gem, and so was the sandwich.