Gossip, tales and evidence of my adventures overseas and back again.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Spring Thaw

I decided to rent a car for the day and do a bit of touring around the area to see some sites. Time to be a tourist! My first target was Lake Louise, the first time I was there it was snowing and in the height of winter.



Still mostly frozen, Lake Louise is magic under a nice blue sky.



The view of the Victoria Glacier I think. Very funky.



I also ventured up to Bow Summit, the road to which is still covered in knee deep snow (this made for interesting walking conditions and wet jean bottoms.) Here is the view of the Bow glacier or the remains of the glacier.



Peyto Lake (photo taken from the same position as the one above but facing the right). It's pretty amazing up at the summit. I was the only person around at the time and the landscape is pressingly beautiful.



Castle Mountain, a staggering mountain on the way to Lake Louise, this is one of my favourites I think.



The next morning I dragged Kristen and Nikole out of bed to come and do some site seeing with me. Our first stop was at this Natural Bridge you can see in the back ground. This is in Yoho National Park not far from Field.



A view of the bridge.



Nikole and I soak up the sun. The rocks are so smooth!



The next stop was Emerald Lake. The lake is surrounded by magnificent mountains and I can just imagine how stagging it would be in the summer.



An old sign for the lodge at the lake.



On the edge of Emerald Lake.