Celebration of Hope
Louise had mentioned to me on a couple of occasions that she was due to go to an annual breast cancer fundraiser that she always tries to attend. It is a massive event organised by the York Region Breast Cancer Friends. Tickets are very hard to come by and apparently sold out in June! Louise was kind enough to offer me a ticket that had come available at her table, being aware of my interest and support of fighting breast cancer. Mum, you would have been really impressed!

The luncheon had 1200 attendees and was quite a site! Very packed as you can see from this picture above. They had various shopping stalls and raffles going with plenty of fun to be had. The York Firefighters were selling their calendar.. yes.... there they are in the foreground of the pic! Tee hee.

Louise and I at the luncheon. We were stationed on the stairs to try and avoid the ladies with their purses and packages!

Inside we enjoyed a 3 course lunch and entertainment. Singing, fashion parade, speeches and auctions. The hosts were very entertaining. I think they managed to raise a lot of money, selling off a handful of package prizes for over $3k each. Impressive. Here I am at the table with Colleen and Sharon (some of Louise's friends!)

I thought this dessert was really nicely done with the pink ribbon in chocolate on top of the lemon meringue! Yes, it did taste as good as it looks.
I was really happy to attend the luncheon and was very impressed at how things were run. A great event for a great cause. It's frightening how this disease efforts women, and it's very heart wrenching when young mothers are the ones diagnosed. But as one of the guys said in his speech yesterday (his wife is a cancer patient) support the CAKs - Cancer Ass Kickers!

<< Home